A Guide to California Bookstore Day
In honor of California Bookstore Day, which will be happening this Saturday, May 3, we put together a little guide to some of our favorite local indie bookstores. You can download a handy, printable version of the guide right here, so just see below for the goods.
Green Apple Books
506 Clement St, San Francisco, CA 94118 (415) 387-2272
- 826 Valencia will lead a storytelling workshop for kids (6-10 years old). $5 donation to 826 requested.
- Beth Lisick and Jan Richman will lead a local author scavenger hunt in the afternoon.
- Artists with the Cartoon Art Musuem will draw caricatures in the noir style.
- A panel of McSweeney’s writers and editors will discuss their Bookstore Day projects.
- From 12 to 1:30 Dave Eggers will ap- pear in the store to sign books and give relationship advice.
- From 1:30 to 3:00 Wendy MacNaugh- ton will help shoppers create custom bookmarks
1644 Haight St, San Francisco, CA 94117 (415) 863-8688
- From 3:30 to 4:30 artists Christian Robinson (Josephine)and Jane Mount (My Ideal Bookshelf) will sketch a 30-second doodle for customers at Sparrow Bar next door.
- Buy one (or more) of 11 CBD items at The Booksmith and get free admission to the Sparrow Bar event, plus a glass of wine on The Booksmith.
2349 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley, CA 94704 (510) 649-1320
- At 7:30, Dave Eggers appears in conversation with Malcolm Margolin, founder of Heyday Books), moderated by Amy Thomas (“President for Life” of Pegasus Books). The conversation will center around books, publishing, and how to operate businesses that are deeply committed to community.
Diesel Bookstore- Oakland
5433 College Ave, Oakland, CA 94618 (510) 653-9965
- In the morning Diesel will host Little & Big Kid Juice Stand (juice & mimosa, while supplies last) + Crafts for Kids
- Around lunchtime, Emma Christensen (author of True Brews) will be serving some of her homemade libations, with macaroni + cheese from the folks at
- Home Room restaurant
- Local ragtime/rootsby band, Dodge’s Sundodgers, will be playing music during the afternoon.
- Literary Karaoke in the evening. Details at: dieselbookstore.com/event/oakland- literary-karaoke-night
- All day Diesel will be partnering with Smitten Ice Cream in Rockridge— each purchase from Diesel gets you
- a password for a complimentary, homemade pairing/topping
3957 24th St, San Francisco, CA 94114 (415) 821-3477
- Folio Books will be turning one of their windows into a costume- filled photo booth for the week leading up to California Book- store Day. All participants in the photo booth will be rewarded with a 10% discount redeemable ONLY on May 3rd. One lucky participant will also win a $20 Gift Certificate.
- How to participate: Take a selfie (or have a friend help) in our window photo booth and then post it to Face- book, Pinterest, Instagram, or Twitter, and be sure to mention @foliosf and California Book- store Day in the description! And what if you don’t do the whole social media thing? That’s! You can just email your photo to firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Laurel Village: breakfast storytime with cereal and milk
- Market Street: adult storytime with local drag queen Mutha Chucka, who will be reading from adult books such as Fifty Shades of Grey and other saucy favorites
- Opera: book trivia games, snacks and bever- ages
- Burlingame: children’s haiku contest
- Mountain View: “Guess the first line contest”
- Palo Alto: happy hour with cocktails and local authors
- Berkeley: local author Annie Barrows (writer of the kid’s series Ivy & Bean) will be hanging out at the store
- Alameda: Nick, store manager and mixologist when he’s not slinging books, is creating a cocktail for CBD night